April 18, 2011

Do you remember Fortran?


Do you remember Fortran? I do. I have a headache when I even think about it. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, I have programmed Fortran, although it was not a real IBM like in the picture above, it was an ordinary PC but it was a nightmare anyway.

I think people that wrote Fortran were just simply playing a practical joke to their colleagues when they made the rule in the language that every single line in the code MUST BE INDENTED with exactly 7 space characters. If you try 6 or 8 characters, the program just does not compile. And with a smile on their face they named the language "Fortran 77". Just for the sake of being cruel.

And the capital letters. Oh yeah. Programmers can be nasty when they are not given their bonuses, you know. READ, WRITE, IF, GOTO and other reserved words work only in capital, not in lowercase. Of course not.

Yes I know, now you people that have been reading mathematics start mocking me and claim that Fortran is the only language that introduces a native support for complex number calculation. If computers regularly introduce numeric types for integers and floats, Fortran does three; integers, floats and complexes, by the reserved keywords INTEGER, REAL and COMPLEX. But what's wrong in using libraries? Oh yeah... Fortran did not support libraries. Another headache.

Next week about Lisp... my head hurts already.

No comments:

Post a Comment